You Have No Right to Tell Me Who I Am

Besides knowing who God is, I think that knowing who we are is the second most important part in our walk of faith. This afternoon, I realized that it is so easy for us to allow things and people to tell us who we are. When some one gives us a compliment, then we can feel good about ourselves, for a while anyway. When someone insults us, we take it to heart.

We allow a piece of paper to tell us how smart we are. I always want to look over at others after we get our tests back to see how they did compared to how I did and if I did better than them, then I can feel good about myself.

In the name of humility, when someone gives me a compliment, I find the need to give them an excuse. Just accept the dang compliment for goodness sake! I get embarrassed when I show anything off that I have done, when in reality if I put my best work forward, I can be proud of what I have done, even if it is a stick figure.

In the name of Jesus right now I choose to break off any association between what is true about myself and what others think about me.

I will not let a piece of paper tell me that I am smart.

I will not let compliments or a reflection or a photograph tell me that I am beautiful.

I will not let others reactions to me tell me that I am worth being around.

I will not change myself based on how others see me and in order to make them think well of me.

We as a culture allow everything to determine who we think we are except for God. Only He can give us THE accurate picture.

He knows us inside and out.

He knows us better than we know ourselves.

He will never condemn us, and even when he corrects us, it is gently and in love.

He will not leave us ever, no matter what we do or say.

There is no need to impress him, he is already impressed with you before you do ANYTHING.

It will be a journey but with God's help, I am choosing to step away from the opinion of man. I will let God and only God tell me who I am.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

True Community

God Is Always Present, So Why Don't We Always Sense His Presence?

Scavenger Hunts and Surprises