Hold On God, I'll Be Back In Five!

My approach towards God sometimes is like, "Hey God, okay you wait here while I go do this." Like if I'm going to work, a part of me seems to say, alright bye God, I'll see you when I get back. Sometimes it's even, okay I'll see you again at about 10:00 when I have my quiet time. It's no wonder that time keeps getting pushed later and later...I think that it is hard for us to get used to the with, doing everything with him. The disciples didn't even understand this idea when Jesus said he was leaving.

John 16:6-7
Rather, you are filled with grief because I have said these things. But very truly I tell you, it is for your good that I am going away. Unless I go away, the Advocate will not come to you; but if I go, I will send him to you.

We have to KNOW that he is with us by faith. The reason it's hard for us is because no person can be with us 24/7 and the person (Holy Spirit) that is with us happens to be someone we cannot see with our eyes. We usually only feel his presence when we or someone around us is dialed in to him. It's like a radio. The signals are all around us but we only pick up the right station if we have some sort of receiver. The receiver is the faith and knowledge that He is with us and the room we make in our heart for him.

Therefore, the discipline we must have in our lives as Christians is simply the discipline of making room for him by believing He is already here. It is not the discipline of gaining his favor because we already have it! As he says in Revelation, I stand at the door and knock. Many use this as a verse for salvation but regardless, the point is that He wants to come in! We don't have to go out and find him and we don't need to get our house cleaned up first, just clear off a spot on the couch and invite him into your mess. He would even be happy standing I think! Come on in God and make yourself at home!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

True Community

God Is Always Present, So Why Don't We Always Sense His Presence?

Scavenger Hunts and Surprises