Expectations

I had my first conference call with my team yesterday to get some of the details about my trip! The whole things still seems totally unreal to me. I keep having to remind myself that I am actually seriously going to Africa this summer.

One of the questions I get a lot about my upcoming trip to Namibia is "What are you most excited for?" While I don't mind the question, for some reason it is really hard to answer it. Obviously there are a lot of little things that I am excited for but to be honest, I have no idea what to expect from the trip.

Its interesting because I am the type of person that typically has high expectations, whether it is for certain situations, for those around me or for myself. Many times these expectations are not met and I find myself unsatisfied and disappointed.

Psalm 62:5 says "Yes, my soul, find rest in God; my hope comes from him." The King James version uses the word expectation instead of hope. I know it is basic Bible teaching, but I need to continually be reminded not to place my hope or expectations in things other than God, because they will always fail me. God certainly does not expect anything more of us than we can give because he knows exactly what we are going to do before we do! As it is, we cannot even expect God to do things a certain way. What we can expect is that He is always good, He will always be with us, and He will always do what is best for us, even if we don't see it that way.

So because of that, I think that it is actually kind of a good thing that I do not know what to expect from the trip. I guess that is one of the benefits of traveling outside of my little comfort zone. I hope that I will continue to learn not to put any of my expectations on anything but Jesus. I definitely expect Him to show up in an amazing way and do great things in my life and through me this summer!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

True Community

God Is Always Present, So Why Don't We Always Sense His Presence?

Scavenger Hunts and Surprises